I began to look to Black women in the creative industry who had paved their own ways, women like Quinta Brunson, Issa Rae, Shonda Rhimes, and Viola Davis. Their stories spoke to me on a deep level because, like me, they didn’t have typical stories. They didn’t follow the traditional script of what success was “supposed” to look like and yet, each of them has made an incredible mark in the world of arts and entertainment.
Take Viola Davis, for example. She grew up in a small town, went to college in my home state of Rhode Island, and faced countless struggles along the way. Despite it all, she pushed through, and now she’s one of the most respected and celebrated actresses in the world. When I hear her story, I’m reminded that where you start doesn’t define where you’ll end up. It’s about perseverance, faith, and staying true to your purpose.Then there’s Issa Rae, who started her career creating a web series, Awkward Black Girl, because she didn’t see stories that reflected her experience. And look at her now she’s created Insecure, one of the most groundbreaking TV shows of the last decade, all while staying authentic to herself. Her journey was unconventional, but it was authentic and that’s what made it resonate with so many of us.Quinta Brunson’s story is another one that feels personal to me. From starting out on Vine to becoming a star with her own TV show, Abbott Elementary, she’s shown how perseverance, humor, and faith in your craft can take you to places you never imagined.Shonda Rhimes, the mastermind behind Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal, has also been a beacon of inspiration. She built her career from the ground up, shattering the glass ceilings. She’s a woman who knew her worth and wasn’t afraid to claim her seat at the table, even when that table wasn’t made for her.These women’s journeys weren’t easy. They faced rejection, doubt, and countless obstacles, but they trusted the process. Their stories show me that my own unconventional path doesn’t have to be a roadblock, it can be a launchpad and the same goes for anyone who feels like they’re off the beaten path. Success doesn’t have to look the same for everyone.As I continue to grow in my creative journey, I remind myself that nothing is impossible when you believe in yourself and lean on God. The passion I have for writing, creating, and storytelling comes from a deep well of inspiration, and I know that I’m not alone in this. Just as these women have created their own lanes, I’m learning to do the same, trusting that God is guiding me every step of the way.
Looking at the journeys of Black creatives who’ve come before me has taught me something invaluable: Your past, your struggles, and your mess don’t define you. What matters is your heart, your faith, and your willingness to tap into the creativity that God has given you. If they can do it, so can we. And with God’s guidance, there’s no limit to what we can achieve.
As I look at the trailblazers like Viola, Issa, Quinta, and Shonda, I’m reminded that our stories are what make us unique. They may not fit into the typical narrative, but they are real, they are powerful, and they are worthy of being shared. I’ll continue to trust in God, believe in my own potential, and walk confidently in my creative journey, knowing that the best is yet to come and if they can make it, so can I and so can you.
https://www.shondaland.com/inspire/by-shonda/a46914009/shonda-rhimes-black-history-emmett-till-center/




No comments:
Post a Comment