Thursday, November 14, 2024

Staying True to Myself: Navigating College, Creativity, and Faith




College is a time when you’re expected to figure out who you are, what you stand for, and how to fit into a world that often pressures you to conform. For many, that means blending in, following the crowd, and embracing the latest trends. For for me, college became a journey of standing out of daring to be different in a world that wanted me to be the same.

From my hair to my outfits, to the way I approached my passions, I always felt like I was swimming upstream. I didn’t fit the mold that society, or even the college community, wanted to place me in. More importantly, I never wavered from my faith in Jesus, and that was my anchor through it all. It wasn’t always easy. In fact, there were times when it felt isolating, especially when people around me tried to convince me that I was doing it all wrong.

You see, there’s an unspoken pressure to fit in, to look like everyone else, think like everyone else, and be like everyone else. Society tells us that the most successful women are the ones who look a certain way, act a certain way, and don’t make waves. As a Black woman, I’ve often felt like I’m not just standing out, but standing apart in ways that others find uncomfortable or even threatening. My presence alone sometimes feels like a challenge to the status quo.

But I realized something: I wasn’t meant to blend in. I wasn’t meant to be another face in the crowd. From the way I express my faith to how I carry myself, everything about me says, “I am unapologetically me” and that has been both a gift and a challenge.

I loved creating, acting, and pursuing my passions in ways that didn’t always align with what my peers were doing. I would often find myself creating content that was authentic to who I am, sharing my faith in ways that didn’t shy away from my truth. And yes, there were times when I felt alone in that pursuit. I looked around and saw others embracing trends, fitting in with groups, and navigating college life in a way that felt safe, familiar, and normal. I knew deep down that staying true to myself, my creativity, my faith, and my identity was more important than fitting into someone else’s mold.

What’s hard about being different is that it can feel lonely. It’s easy to start questioning whether it’s worth it when everyone around you seems to be following the same script. I’ll be honest there were days when I wondered if I was making the right choice. Then I’d remember that God didn’t call me to fit in. He called me to be authentic, to use my gifts, and to shine in my own unique way. Through every struggle, I leaned on my faith to keep going.

There’s this misconception that to thrive in college or in life you have to fit into a box. Society loves women who conform, who look and act a certain way. Here’s the truth: You can thrive without fitting in. You can thrive by staying true to who you are and trusting that God has placed you exactly where you’re meant to be. The journey might be tough at times, and you may face isolation, but you’ll always be stronger for staying true to your identity.

To anyone who feels like they don’t fit in, who feels like their passions or their faith make them different, don’t give up. You are exactly where you’re meant to be. Even though it’s hard to stand out in a world that loves conformity, you can still thrive. Your voice, your passions, your creativity, and your faith are needed in this world. Don’t be afraid to shine in your own beautiful, bold, and unique way.

Navigating college while staying true to yourself can feel like a battle at times, but it’s one worth fighting. Embrace your uniqueness, hold tight to your faith, and never apologize for being authentically you. No matter how much the world may try to box you in, you were made to break free.

https://upspokenwomen.com/2019/09/24/a-black-womans-guide-to-self-love/

https://herbertlui.net/how-to-find-your-passion-with-objects/

https://www.tonyrobbins.com/personal-growth/how-to-find-passion?srsltid=AfmBOop20ogt4DH1oxpkjULNE6LxTpjGpJHmMYbqaJZYrjEBv2gTVolF


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Stopped Aspiring & I Started Living.

A year ago, I knew I was multifaceted.  I could name the parts of myself easily. Writer, creative, woman of faith, storyteller, dreamer. I u...