As a Black woman, a Christian, a college student, and someone with a passion for creativity, I often find myself pulled in many directions. Sometimes, it feels like society wants me and people like me, to fit into neat little boxes. You’re either this or that, right? Here’s the truth: I am all of those things, and more. I refuse to believe I have to choose just one.
Being a young Black woman in college means navigating a world that often expects me to define myself by a single label. I’m supposed to be one thing, stay in my lane, and follow a prescribed path. Whether it’s my faith, my studies, or my creative interests, society seems to think I can’t have it all. I know better, and I’m here to say: You don’t have to choose.
I love writing scripts, acting, creating content, and exploring all things creative. I also love Jesus, and my faith is central to who I am. I’m passionate about public relations, and I have goals in that space too. These aren’t conflicting parts of me; they’re all aspects of who I am. And none of them are less valid than the others. The idea that we have to fit into one category whether it’s as a student, a Christian, or a creative is a myth. You don’t have to limit yourself. You can be multifaceted, complex, and true to who you are, without fear of judgment or rejection.
It’s easy to feel like we’re not enough when the world only allows us to be one thing. How many times have I been told, “You can’t do everything”? Or “Pick one thing and focus on it”? But that’s not the truth. We can have multiple passions and dreams. We don’t have to let others define us or put us into boxes just to make things easier for them.
I want to challenge you to live in the fullness of who you are, no matter what that looks like. Embrace your creativity. Embrace your faith. Embrace every part of yourself, even if it doesn’t always make sense to others. The world will try to tell you that you need to be “this” or “that,” but the reality is, you are allowed to be everything that you are.
I know it’s hard. It can feel isolating when you’re the only one who doesn’t fit neatly into a box. But we don’t have to be alone in this. By speaking our truths and sharing our experiences, we can build a community of people who are unapologetically multifaceted. No one should ever feel like they have to hide parts of themselves to be accepted. You are enough just as you are.
So, let’s break free from the boxes that try to limit us. Let’s embrace our full, authentic selves and let’s speak our truths, no matter how complex they may be.
I hope this post encourages you to take up space, to be bold in your uniqueness, and to know that your multifaceted identity is beautiful and worthy of celebration. No matter how many interests or passions you have, you’re allowed to explore them all. Don’t let anyone make you feel like you have to choose.
Speak your truth. Be multifaceted. You are not meant to fit into one box.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/14687941231206739
https://www.aaihs.org/black-womens-histories-and-the-power-of-truth-telling/
https://www.fiercebychoice.com/blog/break-free-from-who-you-should-be


No comments:
Post a Comment